Thursday, December 5, 2013

Silliness

These photos, while relatively untouched as photos go, provoke a sense of playfulness for me. While the Dragon, Chicken, and Pig are a fixture on the top surface of my Apple "Mini", I really would have to reach for significance there in terms of constructing some sort of meaning. The pig has been around for a while and I guess (s)he just stuck to me as a symbol of corporate greed (practicality to the more conservative). The Dragon adds a spiritual sense as dragons are one of the more mythical, yet very strong in some cultures, figure/creatures, while the chicken (notice that (s)he is plucked and seemingly expired) expresses the futility of life (as a chicken).



The second photo, for me, was like an aftermath of a hurricane or tornado, except the dichotomy is in the bright colors and even geometric shapes. This is an image I would really like to play with by superimposing some destruction, perhaps showing the "media" ambivalence that develops in many after seeing so much of death and destruction. For me it started during the Viet Nam War, looking at the number of soldiers killed every day in what I remember to be the upper right corner of the front page of the Bangor Daily News. Intense, and I didn't even know it at the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment