Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"Hipstamatic" and Jackson

I'll just post one picture (of the seemingly thousands I have taken) of our grandson "Jackson Johnson" here, but not without comment.

I posted a shot taken with the Hipstamatic app on my iPhone a few weeks ago and got a comment to the effect that the photo "sucked". That might have been an accurate observation (although I was insulted enough to remove the comment) had the intention been to pass off the picture as a state-of-the-art high quality use of contemporary photographic technology. That was not the intention. I think I realized the intention more this morning as I began to look through photos that I've taken the last few days while Jen & I have been "on vacation" here in the Portland area. It's kind of like the "Lomo" popularity that has become a part of the modern "every-person"photo world and wants to use older technology to appreciate the emotional and creative possibilities inherent in capturing an image.

Now I find myself understanding more about the "why" involved in my fascination and enjoyment around this sort of photography. Of course the fundamentals (and we should always be learning more about those) are still there; the use of lighting, the arrangement or composition of the photo, and of course the subject and its importance to the overall effect (and affect - I'll explain presently) of the image. Here's the key, I think. Creativity is fun. It's that simple. Why are learners more engaged by the ARTS and what they have to offer? Because it's fun. It works with all the arts, but when a learner loses the intrinsic motivation to draw, perform, sing, dance or make movies it is because we as teachers have imposed too many restrictions and "crushed" the opportunities for learners to engage in the process of creativity!

Here's a shot of Jackson, where I see a young person who is fascinated by everything, who is amazed by all that his around him, and uses all his senses to perceive his world. Minutes after this shot was taken he was playing with my phone, seeing images on it and making sounds (BeBot app) by touching it. As he gains more control (physically) he will have even more fun and opportunities to be engaged in the creative process!

No comments:

Post a Comment