Monday, August 3, 2009

Feet and Feathers


Death... this is the first roadkill seagull I've photographed. Not much left of it but feet and feathers by the time I got to this picture, but there's always something about line and it's relationship to texture that fascinates me. Death, on the other hand, being inevitable, but far less tangible than a good old Ingres line, has it's excitement held in it's uncertain presence. Uncertain, of course, because we never really know when or where but as sentient beings we know that it's out there waiting and will eventually overcome us. Dealing with the death of others is especially hard for me, but in the presence of family or loved ones of those who have passed away I seldom have a lot to say but have been generally fortunate that I haven't ever really said the wrong things. People tend to be very sensitive during times of grief and the words of others take on meaning at times far beyond any kind of content intended.
I have a great deal more to say on this subject, but for now, "love does not conquer all, as it is death that has the final word, love can only make it easier to die."

No comments:

Post a Comment