Monday, August 24, 2009

Surf's Up!

The amazing power of nature is nothing that I have ever questioned growing up on the coast and seeing my first drowned body as a youngster. We all knew the power of the ocean and were constantly warned of it, but some were adventurous and took unsafe risks... some were just ignorant. Yesterday's tragedy on MDI kind of brought a sense of guilt to me because of what I saw at Schoodic Point of people being a bit foolhardy and thinking that someone might get hurt. At Grindstone Neck I warned a young couple away from the slippery rocks just before a huge wave came in and dragged a 300 pound rock down across the flat ledges and into the sea. They were immediately impressed by the power of that much water and thankful they were well up on the bank when it struck the shore.

I worked on my truck in Winter Harbor mostly in the morning and then was drawn to the likelihood of some powerful shots of the ocean, so went out to Schoodic to check it out. The traffic was unbelievable as was the surf, with the road to the point being closed about 2 hours before high tide (ocean coming across the road in places at that time) and maybe 1,000 people at that part of the park. I took 80+ shots and some video, but could have used up all my storage easily. I'll post just a couple of the best ones.

This is the first time I think I have not posted for 2 days in a row, but I'll get over it. There has been some inexplicable force pulling me down the last couple of days...

No comments:

Post a Comment