Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Foggy Bay Blues...


... what if I were a loon? No, really, what if? It must be kind of cool. I can imagine the struggle for survival out there for the poor birds that so often patronize the bay early in the morning, and it does make me a bit sad. The loon, though, is a "big bird", and by that I mean compared to some of the others. Yesterday morning I watched this loon for awhile (I need to make a photo blind down near the water so I can disguise myself and get closer to those waterfowl for pictures, they are gorgeous!) and he really controlled the shoreline. There were some ducks and such around, but he would fly after them and chase them away... keeping the "feeding area" (which seemed to be where the fresh water washed down in the "intermittent" stream and carried things that he could apparently eat) all to himself. He had quite a range our there and was constantly diving and preening himself (pictures).


Anyway, back to the Foggy Bay Blues, a song I have in my head that needs writing down, and its dealing with the thought process, the birds drifting in and out of the bay (mind) like thoughts that come and go and the changes in the surface , the flow, the wind... all of that stuff. The things that are back in the distance fade and then disappear, but within a short time, not like on a clear day when you can see for miles. There are a few things the fog prevents you from doing, and yet there is a sense of solitude in it, a sense of closeness. The fog is a beautiful thing, it creates a softness that is hard to replicate and it makes sound more immediate than sight. Fog suggests a calmness, an attitude that is easy and gentle, with none of the winds of force or change that so often exist on the bay. I love the fog, but it still gives me the blues...

No comments:

Post a Comment