Friday, June 19, 2009

Whew...!

Things started out pretty well today even if I ended up deciding not to ride share and take my own car. The energy was good at school, people seemed ready to take a break and enjoy time doing things other than directly in the classroom. I never seem to get as much done as I would like to but sharing with colleagues and just "picking away" at cleaning and rearranging is what it's all about at the end of the year.
The Summer Arts Festival event is coming into the school right after the 4th of July and they usually make quite a splash! Some call it a mess and it always makes more work for me when I get back in the fall, but it is a good program and it introduces the high school to a lot of younger kids.

I always seem to get into a mixed melancholy funk as I clean, going through student work I thought they should have taken (it was pretty good!) or seeing some things that weren't finished but were sooo close to being really well done. What if I had the kinds of opportunities in the arts that these kids have today? I think I might have accomplished more in the sense of becoming and doing something with my art... would I have tried to be a "bigshot" in New York City? Would I have created my own niche of art works? Probably it wouldn't have made any difference at all, but I think that somehow it might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment